Value vs Worth

 It’s been just over a year since my mum died. Recently, with the sale of her home about to reach settlement, and the headstone on the grave she shares with her husband of 55 years, reworded to the satisfaction of my children and I, I decided it was time to reopen the boxes Tess and I had so carefully packed and labelled early last summer.

So much of what Edna had owned – and there was a lot of ‘stuff’ – had already been distributed to local op shops, a huge January garage sale, failing to move many of her possessions and clothes on to new and loving homes. In this era of ‘downsizing’ and ‘decluttering’ it should not have come as a surprise that people just didn’t want more ‘stuff’. Financial times are such that many people no longer have the disposable income to spend at garage sales, no matter how low the prices are, and they know if they  wait long enough, they will eventually  be able to acquire them, or something similar, free on local ‘free stuff’ Facebook groups or on kerbsides around their town.

It is hard to put a price on such belongings. What are they worth? We found pricing them for the garage sale was a difficult task. Things that mum valued, do not hold the same value for others. Many possessions are worth nothing, except to their owner. But we had boxed up the things that we thought my family and I might want and set them aside in my garage. Now I felt ready to revisit them. So I began opening boxes and checking through the lists of items that each of my children had indicated they would like. I wondered at some of their selections. My youngest daughter had described one of her choices as the ‘ugly grape vase’! Why did she want it then, I wondered? There were two mugs, nothing special, one with a giraffe pictured on it and the other with a zebra, but each of the girls separately claimed one of these, as they were the mugs they would always be given their drink of milo in whenever they visited Edna.

As I tried to make my own choices about what I would keep and what I would give away, I realised that of course, the true value of these belongings collected and treasured over a 98-year lifespan, was bound up in memory. It didn’t matter if it was fine bone china, green depression glass, Waterford crystal, or an ‘ugly’ vase. If the object evoked a fond memory – whether it was where it had sat in our home, who had given it to her, stories of it being passed down through generations – then the measure of its value was the strength of the memory it evoked. There were stories; powerful, sad, funny, happy stories attached to these items. These stories ground me, and my children, in family, time and place.

It doesn’t matter that the grape vase might to many, appear ugly, for Sophie it evokes a memory that creates an attachment for her. And that was what my choices eventually came down to. The old church organ, that Edna had played in the little country church was not a piece of furniture I thought I wanted to keep, but in the end, it was so bound up with my memories of her that I had to find a place for it in my lounge room. Picking up a piece of a yellow daffodil-patterned tea set, I could immediately hear Edna telling me the story of how my dad Jack, had gone out one day when they were newlyweds, seen it in a shop, and knowing she would love it, he had bought it for her on a whim. I knew I had to keep that precious tea set because it had meant so much to her.

I culled some of my own trinkets, to make room for these things of my mother’s. Things like the daffodil tea set had to stay, but something else, with less intrinsic value for me had to go to make room for it. I didn’t keep a lot in the end, but the things that I have are the things with the strongest memories for me, the things that have stories attached to them. And I hope as my children look at their selections, wherever they choose to display them, or as they use them in their daily lives, they will feel the same sense of connection with a time and a place that was occupied by their grandmother.

The old church organ.
Not a piece of furniture I wanted or needed in my home, but it is so integral to Edna's story, that I couldn't part with it. 

The fine bone china 'daffodil time' tea set. 
With cracks and pieces missing it is worth very little, but its value to me, is priceless. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The business of travel

Coast to Coast UK - Robin Hoods Bay to home

Dreaming of a White Christmas - Day 3